March 03, 2010
The very best of luck to Aaron Ramsey.
Having seen this young lad play football since we were both 16, the events of last Saturday left me feeling physically sick and upset.
For those of you who don't know, Wales' talismanic 19 year old midfielder suffered a broken tibia and fibula in a game against Stoke City which his club, Arsenal, won 1-3.
I'd like to clarify right now that I don't blame Ryan Shawcross. It was a poor challenge, absolutely, but in no way did it appear to be malicious, and Ryan's reaction - walking off the pitch after being red carded, some time after the incident, in tears - tells me everything about the young defender and rumoured Manchester United target.
Tony Pulis is a manager I admire and trust, and I'd like to thank him for his kind words and sheer decency and solemnity following the game. Glenn Whelan also deserves plaudits for his role in comforting Aaron as he lay on the ground in what must have been agony.
Arsene Wenger's post match comments are understandable as well - this is the third time it's happened to a young player of his now, he and his medical staff must think they are cursed. I'm sure a man of his intelligence would have realised by now that the challenge didn't warrant such an outburst.
As for Aaron? Well he had an operation shortly after the tackle, and is said to be in "surprisingly good spirits" according to Wales manager (yes, still!) John Toshack. Just another example of why I admire Aaron so much. I'd be nothing short of devastated right now - in fact, I am.
I'm also thankful to the Arsenal fans, who appear to recognise just what a talent Aaron has and have already organised for a banner to be made.
The very best of luck to you Aaron. In my opinion you are the best British player this side of 20, and you have the potential to be a truly global superstar, better than Rooney, Giggs or even the greatest of them all, John Charles.
There is only one Aaron Ramsey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Dan Williams
- Sheffield, United Kingdom
- A Welshman born and bred, I'm now living in South Yorkshire, taking joint honours in Journalism and French at the University of Sheffield. The former is pretty much my reason for creating this blog, though it will be far more impersonal, for now at least, simply because that's how I write.

No comments:
Post a Comment